Rootserver Sponsor

webtropia"

Donations

Please support your operating system's further development:

donate"

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
alexkOffline
15 Post subject: How to re-enable KMail wallet password storage? (Solved)  PostPosted: 03.01.2016, 19:57

At one point, I deleted my wallet and then KMail started asking me for my mail server password every time I want to receive e-mails. It states "You are asked here because the wallet password storage is disabled". I have tried to re-enable the wallet, creating and enabling a new one, but KMail refuses to use it. How to get KMail to use it again? I have not found a solution anywhere to this.

Under KMail Receiving account settings, the Password field is greyed out and says "Wallet disabled in system settings". I don't see any relevant settings in KMail's configuration files in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail2, ~/.kde/share/config/kmail-migratorrc, ~/.kde/share/config/kmail.eventsrc and ~/.kde/share/config/kmail2rc.

Last edited by alexk on 03.01.2016, 20:20; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
alexkOffline
Post subject: RE: How to re-enable KMail wallet password storage?  PostPosted: 03.01.2016, 20:20

Solved this. I found out that I have two kwalletrc files, one under ~/.config and another under ~/.kde/share/config. The one under .kde showed the wallet as disabled (enabled=false), I changed this to "true" and then KMail started using the wallet again. Is it normal to have two kwalletrc files and perhaps I should just delete one?
      Code:
$ cat .config/kwalletrc
[Migration]
alreadyMigrated=true

[Wallet]
Close When Idle=false
Close on Screensaver=false
Default Wallet=Wallet1
Enabled=true
First Use=false
Idle Timeout=10
Launch Manager=true
Leave Manager Open=true
Leave Open=true
Prompt on Open=true
Use One Wallet=true
alex@MSAK1:~$ cat .kde/share/config/kwalletrc
[$Version]
update_info=kwallet-4.13.upd:kde4.13

[Wallet]
Close When Idle=false
Enabled=true
First Use=false
Use One Wallet=true

alexkOffline
Post subject: RE: How to re-enable KMail wallet password storage?  PostPosted: 03.01.2016, 20:35

I renamed ~/.kde/share/config/kwalletrc to kwalletrc.bak and KMail doesn't seem to mind. This appears to be a bug, whereby KMail gives the user no other way of changing the way it interacts with the wallet, than to edit or delete this configuration file. It appears that KMail should be looking at the ~/.config/kwalletrc configuration file instead to see if the wallet is enabled. But if one disables the wallet subsystem under Account Details in KDE System Settings, which sets "Enabled=false" in ~/.config/kwalletrc, KMail still merrily uses the wallet.

alexkOffline
Post subject: RE: How to re-enable KMail wallet password storage?  PostPosted: 03.01.2016, 20:38

Code:
apt-cache policy kmail
kmail:
  Installed: 4:4.14.10-2
  Candidate: 4:4.14.10-2
  Version table:
     4:15.08.3-1 1
          1 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian experimental/main amd64 Packages
 *** 4:4.14.10-2 500
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian sid/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: How to re-enable KMail wallet password storage?  PostPosted: 03.01.2016, 21:46

There still is a lot of 'fun' happening regarding kwallet, basically there are two different versions of kwallet - one for qt4, another for qt5. Applications still based on KDE4/ qt4 technology can only use the qt4 kwallet variant, updated applications already using KDE5/ qt5 can only use the qt5 kwallet. Both use different data storage and can't talk to each other, migration of data is picky at best (there is another problem with migrating existing akonadi databases needing manual migration)...

Personally I solved it by choosing a different mail program[1] before updating to kdepim2 (the KDE4 based kontact/ kmail), as my mail client needs to work, always, without interruption or lost mails. I really liked kontact/ kmail and had used it for over 15 years, but for me, these continued upgrade and runtime troubles were the final nail in its coffin. Another reward, the new mail client is much faster dealing with folders containing lots of mail (multiple thousands, for mailing lists) than kmail, which had been a growing pain for me over the last few years.

[1] switching mail clients with almost two decades of existing mail (multiple GB worth of mails), almost 100 mail filters, a dozen of mail accounts is painful - and I delayed the migration for far too long... But in the end, I set up a local imapd, created a new folder structure there and added it as mail ressource to kmail. Then came the big trouble, migrating the mail filters (first stage) to re-sort the existing mails into the new IMAP folder structure. Once that was done (and working with kmail for a few weeks), I started to configure the new mail client, setting up all active mail accounts and mail filters (again, stage 2) in the new mail client - while I could have run both mail clients in parallel for while (using the same IMAP ressource), I chose to make a hard cut (mostly because I feared the filtering rules in both clients not being 100% identical and eventually disagreeing how to handle incoming mail) and did the final parts of the migration within a weekend.
Yes, one could detach mail receiving/ sending and filtering from the mail client (and this would be cleaner as well), but I decided against this for mostly two reasons. a) sometimes I need to check for new mail outside the regular polling interval (e.g. responding to an incoming mail while being on the phone with the sender), which would either require me to set up very short polling intervalls (DOSing the upstream mail servers) or add numerous weird manual polling interventions (locking issues). b) sending mail via multiple mail accounts, these days mail servers typically don't accept messages from arbitrary sources anymore and require it to be sent via their own SMTP servers, requiring a complex rule set for outgoing mail. Both of these reasons make decoupling rx/ tx and filtering from the mail client pretty difficult - and you still need to set up outgoing mail personas and encryptions settings in the mail client anyways.

alexkOffline
Post subject: RE: How to re-enable KMail wallet password storage?  PostPosted: 03.01.2016, 22:43

It seems that Sid has migrated mainly to Kwallet version 5, though it still provides libpam-kwallet4, which I don't have installed.
      Code:
$ dpkg -l '*wallet*'
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                      Version           Architecture      Description
+++-=========================-=================-=================-=======================================================
ii  kwalletmanager            4:15.08.3-1       amd64             secure password wallet manager
ii  libkf5wallet-bin          5.16.0-1          amd64             Secure and unified container for user passwords.
ii  libkf5wallet-data         5.16.0-1          all               Secure and unified container for user passwords.
ii  libkf5wallet5:amd64       5.16.0-1          amd64             Secure and unified container for user passwords.
ii  libkwalletbackend5-5:amd6 5.16.0-1          amd64             Secure and unified container for user passwords.
ii  libpam-kwallet5           5.4.3-1           amd64             KWallet (Kf5) integration with PAM
un  pam-kwallet5              <none>            <none>            (no description available)

I also recently considered migrating away from KMail, but have managed to get it working well again for my use at the moment, though only after resetting its configuration and losing my filters a couple of times. No more "Resource Mail is broken" error messages and it only asks for my Wallet password once per session, I'll consider that a minor success.

Jump to: