Rootserver Sponsor

webtropia"

Donations

Please support your operating system's further development:

donate"

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
HellmarkOffline
Post subject: ISO Kernel panic on boot for Kaby Lake processors  PostPosted: 09.04.2017, 18:38

I've used Aptosid from the beginning, and tried to install it on my new system, but it it kernel panics as soon as it starts booting. Tried both 32 and 64 bit versions. I made sure that my ISOs were all proper, and they boot on other systems. Just the Kaby Lake system that won't boot.

Reply with quote Back to top
finottiOffline
Post subject: RE: ISO Kernel panic on boot for Kaby Lake processors  PostPosted: 10.04.2017, 00:24

I am afraid that even if you could boot, you would probably have trouble with your first update. I've tried several times and could not do a new install with the old ISO...

HellmarkOffline
Post subject: RE: ISO Kernel panic on boot for Kaby Lake processors  PostPosted: 11.04.2017, 19:55

Just really sucks. I know that the newer kernels supports kaby lake, and they they keep things up to date, just don't know why they don't release a new ISO with their new packages. If it is starting to not boot on newer systems, that is a major issue.

finottiOffline
Post subject: RE: ISO Kernel panic on boot for Kaby Lake processors  PostPosted: 11.04.2017, 21:54

I agree. I am quite happy rolling aptosid in two computers. I quite like it and slh kernel's and support are great. But I guess aptosid just doesn't have the man power to produce a new release. (Really, just a guess. I have no idea of the "inner workings".) At this point, I am just grateful it is still rolling.

I had to do new install not too long ago and had to go with something else... Nothing I tried worked to DU to an up to date system. (And I could boot from the ISO.)

HellmarkOffline
Post subject: RE: ISO Kernel panic on boot for Kaby Lake processors  PostPosted: 12.04.2017, 02:30

I just did an install on my desktop that I built a few weeks back, and I was able to get things upgraded to current just fine. CPU was just not current gen, so it could boot the ISO without issue. My new laptop though, due to Kaby Lake, was a no go. Really not sure what to do, as I am not as fond of Siduction and don't know what else to do. Half tempted to do a plain jane Debian install, and seeing if I can grab the package list of Aptosid as well as sources, and DU my way over.

LatOffline
Post subject: RE: ISO Kernel panic on boot for Kaby Lake processors  PostPosted: 16.04.2017, 04:41

At this point: How bad of an idea is to use a pure Debian sid iso to install, then just add the aptosid repos, then install the slh kernel?

HellmarkOffline
Post subject: RE: ISO Kernel panic on boot for Kaby Lake processors  PostPosted: 01.05.2017, 13:50

I've actually considered it, I've just not had the time to try.

Still, the big point of Aptosid for me is the quick install. Once it is up, the slh kernel is pretty cool, but otherwise I'm fine with pure Debian. Other distros, like Siduction, seems further away from pure Debian in their base state as far as config goes.

Jump to: