Rootserver Sponsor

webtropia"

Donations

Please support your operating system's further development:

donate"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mithatOffline
Post subject: aptosid manual overrides expected URLs  PostPosted: 02.08.2012, 20:47

I am running aptosid Xfce.

Some applications that are supposed to open a URL in a web browser open the aptosid manual instead. Specific example: in Synapse > Preferences > Plugins, if you click an "About this plugin" icon, the aptosid manual is opened rather than a page describing the plugin.

I experience the same behavior when x-www-browser and gnome-www-browser are changed from iceweasel to google-chrome. The specified browser is opened, but the aptosid manual is loaded rather than the intended URL.

Uninstalling aptosid-manual-common (along with aptosid-manual-de and aptosid-manual-en) results in the desired behavior.

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: aptosid manual overrides expected URLs  PostPosted: 03.08.2012, 13:23

We cannot reproduce this issue and right now neither can imagine how this would be possible.

- The aptosid-manual-* packages are completely static and only dump a number of HTML ressources into their own private directory && add an XDG desktop ressource for it.
    - Our live environment adds a symlink to this XDG desktop file to the user's desktop.
    - No browser configuration even mentions the manual.
    - The manual packaging and its setup hasn't changed in years (it's 'just' static documentation with little need for infrastructural changes - just its contents are regularly updated and extended), so I would be surprised if an issue like this wouldn't have been reported ages ago.
    - We neither ship nor preconfigure/ preseed anything for the chromium browser.
    - While we are not familiar with your synapse plugin, its upstream website seems to be inaccessible.

mithatOffline
Post subject: RE: aptosid manual overrides expected URLs  PostPosted: 03.08.2012, 17:47

After much hair-pulling, I was able to figure out that somehow my ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list managed to acquire a bunch of entries for aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop. Specifically:
      Code:
$ cat mimeapps.list | grep aptosid
x-scheme-handler/http=aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop
x-scheme-handler/https=aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop
x-scheme-handler/ftp=aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop
x-scheme-handler/chrome=aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop
application/x-extension-htm=aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop
application/x-extension-shtml=aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop
application/xhtml+xml=aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop
application/x-extension-xhtml=aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop
application/x-extension-xht=aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop
x-scheme-handler/ftp=iceweasel.desktop;aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop;
x-scheme-handler/chrome=iceweasel.desktop;aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop;
text/html=geany.desktop;iceweasel.desktop;aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop;
application/x-extension-htm=iceweasel.desktop;aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop;
application/x-extension-html=iceweasel.desktop;aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop;
application/x-extension-shtml=iceweasel.desktop;aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop;
application/xhtml+xml=iceweasel.desktop;aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop;
application/x-extension-xhtml=iceweasel.desktop;aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop;
application/x-extension-xht=iceweasel.desktop;aptosid-aptosid-manual.desktop;

No idea how that happened. I renamed the old mimeapps.list to deactivate it and am testing things with a virgin mimeapps.list file. So far so good.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: aptosid manual overrides expected URLs  PostPosted: 03.08.2012, 20:04

That explains why it broke, but I'm not quite sure what could have triggered these mime overrides to get added[1]. Please keep and eye on it and keep us posted.

[1] There are plans to generate MIME equivalents from *.desktop files automatically, but this hasn't landed in Debian unstable yet and nothing in aptosid-manual should trigger that from happening for our packages.

Jump to: